Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday Wisdom: Trust

25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.

27 But Jesus immediately said to them: Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 Come, he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. You of little faith, he said, why did you doubt?

-Matthew 14:25-31

This passage is always hard for me to read, because I see myself in Peter way more than I wish I did. There are so many areas in my life where I am of 'little faith' and don't fully trust that the Lord will provide. Or better yet, that I do not have faith in the path that the Lord has so clearly provided for me.

I love that Peter calls out to Jesus for a clear explanation of what to do, and even when Jesus is standing right in front of him and instructs him to do something, Peter still panics in the ability for Jesus to lead him and begins to sink. I think we can all relate to this in so many ways - I can think of numerous times when I have called upon the Lord for guidance and wisdom in a situation, and when I feel the Lord has provided me a path with which to approach the situation, I doubt the path He leads me to.

Who am I do doubt the power of an all-knowing, all-powerful, almighty God?

The path the Lord provides us with will always be the best path, no matter what we are thinking in that moment. As I reflect upon my life so far, it is so clear to point out instances when I listened to the Lord's call for me, and when I didn't. And guess what? The instances in which I did not follow are the instances that are embarrassing, shameful, and sad to remember. And the instances in which I did follow, though they were extremely hard in the moment, are the instances that have led me to some of the best friendships, best relationships, and best experiences I have ever had.

Last Friday night, I had the amazing opportunity to witness 20 UVa students be baptized at a local church. It was absolutely incredible to hear what each of these students had to say about their decision to be baptized, and their excitement to begin their walk with the Lord. It was so encouraging to hear these newly recognized believers share their stories without a stammer of hesitation in their voice. They were as confident in beginning their walk with the Lord as Peter had wished he could have been in this story.

Happy Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment